Skip to main content

Family Law Advice: Cohabitants

By November 6, 2023June 26th, 2024No Comments

If your relationship breaks down and you were not married or engaged to your former partner, do you have any entitlement to make a claim against your former partner?

The answer is yes if:

  • You can show you were in a committed and intimate relationship
  • If you are deemed to be a ‘qualified cohabitant’- ie you are left in an economically vulnerable position as a result of the ending of the relationship
  • You have brought proceedings within 2 years of the ending of the relationship or 6 months after the Grant of Representation in the event of the death of the cohabitant.

Fr further information, do not hesitate to contact Brendan Dillon or Aoife Cathcart on 012960666.