Skip to main content

Qualified Cohabitants-What redress can I claim?

By November 30, 2023June 26th, 2024No Comments

If I end my relationship with my cohabitant and I am a qualified cohabitant, what redress can I apply for?

Under s.174 of the Act, you can seek the following redress:

  1. A property adjustment order
  2. Lump Sums
  3. Maintenance
  4. Pension provision

It is important to note that the Act does not provide for the sale of property

In the Cohabitants Act, the Court has to have regard for all the circumstances. It would be practical for the financial needs of the qualified cohabitant to be met by maintenance or pension whereas in divorce the provision of pension relief is separate.

For further information on this or any other family law matter, please do not hesitate to contact Brendan Dillon or Aoife Cathcart on 012960666